05 April 2006

Virgin sacrifice to the baseball gods needed

Seriously, this has got to be a joke. My internet quit on me 10 minutes before Pettitte's first pitch. It's still out, and we're 30 minutes into the game. It cut out on me yesterday too: in the bottom of the eigth with the 'stros up 1-0 and Oswalt throwing darts.

The last time it went out on me? During the World Series. I had trouble all throughout the playoffs, but as soon as the season was over, I haven't had a snick of a problem. Coincidence? I think not. The baseball gods are obviously asking for something from me. I just need an oracle to tell me what cause I can't come close to figuring it out...

I'm gonna venture to say that in the four months since baseball season ended, I've been on the internet at this time of night (2 am) 5 nights a week for all but 4 weeks, when I've been traveling or visiting someone/something. Sometimes I've returned from going out, sometimes I've just got on after eating and showering, who knows. But I've been on the internet a lot at this time of night. I'm gonna say it's my prime time. So I would notice if it normally was spotty, or had issues this time of night. But no, it's been great since the WS.

And now, it's not working. For the first time since the World Series, there is baseball on. For the first time since the World Series, my internet has decided to stop working. Nada. Zilch. I'm getting less heartbeat than Ted Williams in his cryogenically frozen state.

The most perplexing part is, I can use skype! It's not like my connecion's gone bad or i need to reboot the router. those things I know how to fix. But having skype work (clearly showing there's a connection somewhere) and the web not? The only explanation is the baseball gods are frowning upon me.

Update: The only consolation was that Pettitte got shellacked and the astros lost 11-2, which would have been nasty to watch... I just hope it's not a harbinger of an injury, b/c normally studs like that don't get roughed up unless something's wrong with them...


Update 2: I think I may have the problem resolved, but we won't know til we have a problem. A friend suggested that the problem is with my DNS lookup tool: it can't translate the www.astros.com to the 147.183.191.21 IP address where the page actually exists. Apparently these DNS lookup tools go down often in non-US countries. Now I have a backup, so hopefully this will solve the problem. hopefully.

No comments: