But Jon sent it to me because of how much it ripped on Houston:
"Maybe Houston doesn't suck any more or less than 20 other major cities, and maybe the people are friendly and likable, but the fact remains, you would never come here for any reason, other than these three:
(1) For work.
(2) To gain weight.
(3) To get shot."
This article has churned up the age-old debate I have with myself. I'm torn between two principles that are extremely important to me: loyalty, and objectivity. This is an impossibly easy choice for many people. Many red-staters lack objectivity - or don't seem concerned about it - and refuse to open their minds to look at the choices they make, their lifestyles, their political decisions, etc, and live in ignorance. Many yankees, on the other hand, seem insincere to us southerners b/c they're so damn objective, cold and calculating that they seem to lack heart. Which they often do.
It will be hard for me not to want to raise children in Houston if I am blessed with that opportunity. But at the same time, would I rather they were raised in another city and call that home? Maybe yes. Thus the decision will have to be made: loyalty or objectivity. And I'm not sure I'll know which one to make. In the end, though, it's not my choice alone - Becka will have some say in it. And, after all, we probably won't even have any choice at all: we'll simply go where the jobs take us...
thoughts on loyalty vs. objectivity? send me a comment...

No comments:
Post a Comment