01 October 2005

Thom Brennaman gets down wit it; another bike stolen

I have moved into my new apartment, and with internet set up, I'm watching the Astros-Cubs game with unbelievable excitement and anticipation. The game's being shown on Fox in the states, but I'm able to get it with mlb.tv, a service provided by MLB in association with ESPN, live and streamed through the internet.

I guess there's some disagreement about advertising, b/c I haven't seen any commercials yet. What I'm seeing instead is the broadcast booth feed. I don't really know who's calling the shots, but the entire commercial break consisted of zoom-ins on hot girls in the stands. I'm not joking - it was pretty unprofessional, but funny nonetheless. sometimes they'd zoom back and forth, rapidly, like 12 year olds playing with mom's digital camcorder. Then, the booth is preparing the tape on Clemens for the next half inning, and you hear Thom Brennaman saying "Alright that's good. Stop it right there." But he keeps talking. "Yeah right there. Alright. A'it. Aaaa-iiit!!!" Like he's pretending to be black or something. Really weird stuff....

My life was changed yesterday, but it didn't last very long. Orla (my host for the first month I was here) gave me one of her old bikes that she didn't need anymore. It was brown and the paint was peeling, but it was a bike. I was thrilled, and after a little bit of oil, more air in the tires, and some tightening of the screws, I was off and riding. With the wind whipping through my mane, I rode all the way to El Corte Ingles, an hour's walk and definitely longer on the bus than the 10 minute bike ride. I felt liberated; I was suddenly able to go anywhere, do anything. What a day.

Then, I locked my bike up outside with a chain. When I woke up this morning, it was gone. Fourth bike stolen in the last 5 years. I have yet to have a bike longer than 2 months before it gets stolen. I felt like a part of me has been taken. And yet, the fault is almost all mine. I'm pretty sure I looped the lock over the top of the seat, allowing the thief to simply lift the lock up over the seat and hit paydirt. I feel like such an idiot...

No comments: