28 September 2005

New ledger; Spaniards criticizing my english

I found out that my 7:30 am flight from Sevilla to Madrid to Chicago next week for Liz's (Becka's sister) wedding is going to cause me considerable damage, primarily to my pocketbook. I don't know why I picked that early of a flight, b/c I can't get to Sevilla that early; it's 2 hours away and there aren't buses or trains that early.

I have the option of staying overnight in Sevilla, but that's not really an option b/c I have to teach from 9-10pm the day before and there are no buses/trains after that.

I'll end up paying $175 to cancel, plus $69 for the new ticket. This is going into my newest ledger, called

"Why do things early? You just get screwed. The Last Minute is the best minute"
1. Booked hotel for three nights in Cadiz on internet before coming because 'you don't go to Europe without a place to stay'. Found out hotel was misleading about its location and was 1.5 hours away, in Cadiz province, not city. Cost $300.
2.Bought airline ticket months in advance, trying to save money. End up spending $200 more than if I had tried to book it a week in advance.

Ended my training phase of teaching English today. Next week, it's the real deal: I will teach four classes of about 2.3 students each. Hopefully they'll fill up, but for now, it's just a few classes: 7-8 year olds, 10-11, 12-13, and adults.

I met one of the adults yesterday and he made fun of the way I said the number 20. He asked me, 'come se dice veinte en ingles?' I said, 'twenty' thinking 'whew, this guy's really low level...' But then he told me, 'no, it's twenty.' I said, 'that's what i said, twenty.' Then I got a lecture about how American English sounded bad and how you're supposed to pronounce the 't', as in 'twenty' instead of 'twinny.' So he should be fun in class.

No comments: