26 August 2005

Day 2 in Cadiz

Although I slept most of the day, I still managed to get a few things done today: namely getting a cell phone. You can now call me at (+34) 686-002-678 and it's free for me... so, for example, if you have skypeOut, you can call me for about 2 cents per minute, and i won't pay anything either... sounds like a deal, huh? just wait 5 years when we'll all be talking for free... Yeah, so I just found out that that part isn't actually true: I exhausted my €7 balance in an hour's time. Not understanding what happened, I looked around on the website and found out that 2 cents per min is only for Spanish landlines; cell phones are €.22 per min. I guess we'll have to wait a while for cheaper communication on cell phones...

I was listening to my mp3 player as I was walking down the street after dinner. Specifically I was listening to the trailer music from the movie Troy, a typical Hans Zimmer knockoff type piece. I couldn't hear anything but the rousing score, and I just couldn't help but think that I was Achilles and everyone on the street was about to attack me, but I had ridiculous fighting skills and could take them all... then I couldn't help but think I was a little strange, and I changed the song...

The nudity epidemic continued today - between halves in the Liverpool soccer game (which you can watch for free, while the Cadiz home team games cost money to watch on TV; no wonder everyone here's a Real Madrid fan: you can actually watch their games...) the guy at the internet cafe switched it to rabbit ear TV and sure enough there's another topless woman. This is local tv, not even cable - I can't help but realize the US is so much more conservative than Europe....

I chat with every old man I can to find out whether it's possible to get tickets for the Cadiz-Real Madrid season opener on Sunday... I keep trying to translate the word 'scalper' with phrases like "one who sells tickets illegally on game day" but it doesn't seem to work out too well... An old man at my hotel who speaks in a raspy, thickly accented Castillano, said something about €500, and that's what I saw on the internet. I told him how you could go to a Yankees game - our equivalent of Real Madrid - for 30 bucks and he just about had a heart attack imagining seeing a soccer game for that cheap. In any case, I'm just going to show up at the stadium with lots of euros and hope I can get in...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude you probably shouldn't fight everyone in spain in your first week there. good thing you changed the music.

maybe in a few more months when you know more people.