Did you know that in several states, when you grade students' work, you're not allowed to use a red pen because theyhave been outlawed. They 'diminish the confidence of the student.' Don't people understand that switching to a green or purple pen will just do the same thing after a few times? People are so shortsided...
The other day we read a study about how students read. It was attributed to Dartmouth, which was exciting. But in typical fashion, the article was about Harard. The quest to be Harvard Jr. continues...
The pretentiousness of the Brits is eclipsed only by that of the US. Despite being a small island a sixth the size of the US, the Brits have decided that theirs is the correct version of english and ours is wrong. The Spanish have the same attitude about Mexico. I teach my students E-merican english in class and make sure that everyone knows when something's not right in American.
After a two week hiatus, my phone is working again. I left my charger at Becka's, and after waiting 10 days for one I ordered off ebay to come in, i finally asked Becka to send it. It came in three days. I'm still waiting for the ebay one to come in... So not that i expect anyone to call me with a calling card, but i have email on my phone now....

1 comment:
So I figure I'll be the stickler about the red pen...if for no other reason than that I use purple and green to correct the work of my students.
There is, in the English or "E-merican" languages, a certain negative connotation with the color (or colour) red. It's true that part of this is due to the usage of red ink to correct mistakes in school work, but there is also "red tape", which is commonly used to refer to the negative aspects of bureaucracy. Think also of companies who are "in the red", meaning they are loosing money, rather than being profitable. While elementary school children may not know those specific examples, they certainly absorb the connotation...
Post a Comment